UN launches campaign to help Philippines after typhoon

This was reported the day before by the UN Resident Coordinator in that country, Gustavo Gonzalez, who provided details of the plan put in place by the multilateral organization to help those most in need there.

He said the money will go to 530,000 people in the areas hardest hit by the cyclone, who need clean water and other health services.

Gonzalez stressed that nearly three million Filipinos need assistance, including one million children.

Meanwhile, there are about 631,000 displaced people and about 200,000 homes damaged by Typhoon Ray, which hit the Philippines last week.

According to the UN Resident Coordinator, the cyclone was devastating and many are now in urgent need of emergency shelter, clean water and food.

For his part, the United Nations Emergency Response Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, announced the allocation of $12 million for a rapid response from the Central Emergency Response Fund in the multilateral body.

He said this allocation will help 220,000 vulnerable Filipinos through interventions in food security, protection, water, sanitation and hygiene, camp management, shelter and logistics.

Classified as a super typhoon and the worst typhoon to hit the archipelago this year, Rai hit the islands of the south-central Philippines from Thursday to Saturday last week, but tens of thousands of people are still cut off by floods and highways. .

The Philippines experiences about 20 storms and typhoons every year. The most devastating was Haiyan, which in 2013 left about 7,300 people dead.

ACL / IFB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.