Meghan Markle has filed a lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited for publishing a private letter to her father.
Meghan MarkleThe Duchess of Sussex on Thursday won the final stage of a lawsuit against a major UK press group to protect her privacy, after several newspapers published a personal letter she wrote to her father in 2018.
London Court of Appeal Today rejected an appeal by Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), The editor of the “Daily Mail”, “Mail on Sunday” and “Mail Online”, which requested that two previous rulings be brought to trial, which were succinctly resolved in a shorter process, as the judge considered that the evidence was clear in Markle’s favour.
Judges Jeffrey Foss, Victoria Sharp and David Bean said Thursday that “It is hard to see what new evidence could have been presented in a trial that would have changed the situation.” They considered the “correcting” of the previous conclusions of the Supreme Court.
In a statement, the 40-year-old Duchess celebrated her victory, in an unprecedented process for the British monarchy, which often tries to avoid prosecution.
Meghan Markle: “This is a victory not only for me”
“This is a victory not only for me, but for one who is afraid to defend the right,” Thinking this precedent would fight British tabloid culture, Markle said, it was stipulated “to be cruel and take advantage of the lies and pain” it spreads.
“From day one, I have treated this lawsuit as an important barometer of what is right and wrong. But they treated it like a game with no rules,” Markle says in the memo, accusing the other side of trying to twist and manipulate the process to generate more headlines.
“In the three years since this began, I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation, and calculated attacks. Today, the courts have ruled in my favour, once again, confirming that Mail on Sunday, owned by Lord Jonathan Rothermere, has broken the law.”
In two brief opinions in February and May, the President concluded that Newspapers violated the Duchess’ privacy by publishing extracts from the letter she sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in 2019 In August 2018, and that the letter was written by her and not by an assistant, so she is the affected, as the owner of the intellectual right.
Markle, who now lives in the United States with her husband, Prince Harryand his two children, sued ANL for misuse of private information, “copyright” (copyright) infringement and data protection law violations.
Associated Newspapers Limited He argued during the process that the text — which was reproduced by its headlines, and is the most widely read in the country, in five articles in February 2019 — It was actually part of the Duchess’ portrait strategy, And that it was also written by his assistant, so the rights are the property of the property.
Judge Mark Warby Out of the public interest, he said in February, the publication of the letter was “manifestly excessive and therefore illegal”, because it was a “personal and private letter”, which addressed aspects of the poor father-daughter relationship that had been “concerned” by the behavior of her dad. EFE