LaSalud.mx.- We allow ourselves to participate in advance in print and in a private way for our readers LaSalud.mx Presentation of the commemorative digital book on 190 years of Merited Faculty of Medicine of the University of Puebla.
190th Anniversary of BUAP . Medical College
- Indiana Doricilla Torres Escobar
- Jose Gaspar Rodolfo Cortes Rivol
- Mino del Carmen Arrivalo Ramirez
- Ma. Del Lurdez Consuelo Martínez Montaño
- Salvador Rosales and de Gante
We especially thank their authors Dr. Indiana Torres EscobarAnd the Director from medical college To distinguish ourselves with the presentation to our readers of this work which is already undoubtedly a reference material for all those interested in the history of the study of medicine and health sciences, not only in the state of Puebla, but also in Mexico and from Latin America.
thank you very much University President Jose Alfonso Esparza Ortiz From the famous and noble academic institution BUAP.
Here you can refer to this entire work: 190th Anniversary of Establishment of the BUAP Medical School.
The articles reproduced below aim to show the long process by which the study of medical sciences was organized and developed in the state, and thus the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine of the Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla. Studies show how the development of medicine has been linked to political vicissitudes at different stages of national history, and the foundations of a solid first-rate education can be laid in its development.
The long and continuous process of formalizing the medical school began with the state liberalization of the institutions established in Mexico City that continued after independence. The institution referred to with distinction was the Royal Automated Court, which governs the guidelines for the training and practice of medicine in a centralized manner.
The initiatives of Puebla that came from the 18th century were the Academy of Anatomy and the Academy of Medicine, Anatomy and Pharmacology, both under the auspices of the San Pedro Monastic Hospital. From that institution, by 1804, the first surgeons were graduating. During this stage before the consolidation of the republican state, the Spanish school was dominant in the history of medicine, which followed the rules dictated by the University of Salamanca, at the disposal of civil and ecclesiastical authorities. Like the liberal reforms of Cadiz of 1810, the study of medicine was influenced by the French School, which from the beginning of the nineteenth century saw the need to combine in one study, the professions of medicine, surgery and botany, for training physicians-surgeons.
The phase that continues with the formation of the republic with new laws, and the debate in general about the teaching and administration of health, corresponds to a new vision of society, the product of a postcolonial effort to incorporate other medical proposals, which has been increasingly influenced by liberal thought.
Ten years after the declaration of independence, the date that interests us was fixed in 1831. On June 6 of that year, the Congress of the Free and Sovereign State of Puebla passed a law aimed at regulating the practice and quality of teaching medical sciences. This legislation, as a consequence of the end of the Protomedicato, gave way to the formation of the Directorate of Health with authority throughout the state of Puebla. In accordance with the law of 1831, the Health Directorate issued a regulation for the practice and study of medical sciences, which was approved on May 28, 1832.
The Regulation of 1832 resulted in an educational plan for the Chair of Medicine and Surgery. Beginning in 1834, the training chairs of surgeons at the Hospital de San Pedro and in the facilities of the State College officially began to establish medical sciences, and they were trained in the two long-separated specialties: medicine and surgery.
Thus, on January 6, 1834, the classes for the training of surgical doctors began for the first time in the city of Puebla, with the study plan recently approved by the Directorate of Health. On June 30, 1842, the Government of the Department of the Second Regulation for the Study and Practice of Puebla issued an Ordinance for Medical Sciences. From this account, the institution of medical sciences lasted twenty-five years, until its closure in 1855. Teaching was changed in the second half of that century by two events which led to the temporary closure of medicine in Puebla during educational institutions. The first was the need to standardize pencils nationally in 1855, a trend dictated by the capital because it considered gaps in academic content and differences in diagnostic methods and treatments to be followed.
Despite constant adjustments in study plans aimed at advancing teaching, the closure of the medical school could not be avoided by a presidential decree issued by General Santa Anna. The president’s advisors demanded that the country’s medical schools comply with the requirements requested by the capital’s college, in order to standardize teaching across the country. However, the governor of Puebla, Francisco Ibarra, restarted it on October 5, 1855, pending a new regulation.
From the new regulation of 1856 emerges a new College of Medicine, with a director, board, budget and autonomy.
By orders of the imperial administration of Maximilian of Austria, “Before the liberal firmness of professors who owe allegiance to the Emperor”The medical school closed in 1864.
In 1891, the medical school was permanently incorporated into the state college, creating the most stable political conditions in the last decade of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, conditions that allowed medical education to develop an organization and
Study programs where the influence of European positivism was evident.
Beginning in 1917, the newly built Jesús Carranza Hospital received students in practical classes, and was reinforced years later with the construction of an amphitheater and laboratories.
The increase in medical students that occurred in the early 1960s led to a new building, which opened in 1965 at the same time that the college joined the Pan American Association of Colleges and Schools of Medicine. This was one of the first regulatory bodies, later joined by other national and international bodies that have since made recommendations for improving medical training. In all of them, our faculty members have had a permanent involvement, as they have successfully applied, in 2000, to the accreditation process offered by the Mexican Council for Accreditation of Medical Education (COMAEM). Except for the auscultation process, the college has since been recognized by regulatory bodies.
Within the process of modernization in 1995, the college became a medical school by incorporating the Master of Medical Sciences into its study programmes. In 1998, this was followed by the creation of a master’s degree in health management and services and the integration of a biomedical degree.
The 21st Century has strengthened the college’s work and its downfall by integrating clinical nutrition degrees, Fi-
Psychotherapy and a career as a professional involved in imaging, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Professional Forensic Science in Medical Emergencies.
The current medical training includes 20 specialties, in addition to the Ministry of Health’s Specialty Program.
The SARS-CoV-2 virus caused a rush in virtual education starting in 2020. The use of technology in recent months has allowed teaching to continue at various academies in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. From fruitful discussions reached in face-to-face classrooms, we have, through the use of various electronic platforms, promoted the participation of teachers and students without putting themselves at risk, but always trying to ensure that the human dimension prevails, the mainstay of our discipline.
Clinical practices have been challenged to develop with simulators that, although they do not replace human interaction, allow advances in knowledge of techniques and processes essential in developing the necessary skills.
One hundred and ninety years later, we can confirm, through this work, that BUAP Medical School is a bulwark in the training of health professionals for the community we owe to ourselves.
pull. Indiana Torres EscobarAnd the BUAP Manager
This and other interesting articles, accompanied by exclusive reports, interviews and collaborations with some of the most famous professionals, can be found in our multimedia edition of LaSalud.mx which you can consult at the following link https://issuu.com/grupo-mundodehoy/docs/lasalud.mx_junio_julio_2021
“Creator. Devoted pop culture specialist. Certified web fanatic. Unapologetic coffee lover.”