On June 21, World Selfie Day is celebrated, which was founded by DJ Rick McNelly, with the aim of raising money for charities. Through these types of images.
Although selfies are a relatively recent fashion that has gone viral thanks to the arrival of smartphones,It can be said that it is an invention that dates back to 1839 when Robert Corneliu, the owner of a lamp shop in Philadelphia, United States, took a selfie with a camera at that time.
In the early years of this new millennium, taking a selfie was not an easy task due to the lack of front cameras. Celebrities like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears can be seen in celebrity magazines and TV channels like MTV, trying to take selfies with camcorders from that decade.
However, this activity became a trend when in 2014 DJ duo “The Chainsmokers” released a song called “Selfie” which was very successful at the time and today has more than 600 million views on YouTube.
The music video shows both celebrities and regular people taking selfies in various locations, as well as noting the way cell phones have affected people’s social relationships.
Since then, selfies have become very popular among smartphone users, and it has become a very popular activity. These are the most famous selfies in history:
1. Without a doubt, the most popular selfie on Twitter to date is the one that Ellen DeGeneres took, along with Hollywood celebrities at the 2014 Academy Awards.
And although it was Elaine who invited the actors to take the well-known photo, it was Bradley Cooper who picked up the device and took the photo. Other artists who have participated in the selfie are Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence, Channing Tatum, Meryl Streep, Ellen DeGeneres, Julia Roberts, Kevin Spacey, Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt, Lupita Nyong’o, and Angelina Jolie.
2. This is one of the most impressive selfies yet. Astronaut Mike Hopkins took a selfie in space with planet Earth in the background in 2013, specifically outside the International Space Station.
However, 2013 wasn’t the first time an astronaut had taken an extraterrestrial selfie, in November 1966, space pilot, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin Jr., actually achieved that feat by opening the hatch of the ship that was there to perform the shot. Iconic.
3. Internet users consider this self-portrait one of the most tender, and it happened in 2011 when nature photographer, David Slater, allowed monkeys named Crested Macaques to play with the camera, and the protagonist in the picture was called “Naruto” and by that time he was living in jungles of Indonesia.
The photo, some time after the incident, made headlines, since the photographer published it under his authorship, animal rights group PETA sued him in California for copyright, claiming that the author belongs to the macaque and not to the owner of the camera.
4. It was one of the funniest selfies on the internet, and the context of the selfie happened when Australian hockey players, Jade Taylor and Brooke Perry, were taking the photo but Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom crept into the camera with a mischievous smile.
5. The selfie with the most ‘likes’ on Instagram is ‘Ex-Disney Girl’ star Selena Gomez and singer The Weeknd who took the photo at Coachella.